Monday, January 10, 2011

Singapore

Many of you have been asking about an update on Genna. Just the day after I sent out my email we received the following update from her father:

"For one week those watching over Genna have been waiting for the "breakthrough" day. A day when things stabilize or get better and there are no more setbacks or issues. It is the day that all of those prayers, good thoughts, and meditation hums do what they were supposed to do. That day for Genna was day 12 at the ICU at Apollo Hospital in Chennai. Last night, on board the Semester at Sea ship, the Explorer, Archbishop Desmond Tutu led other students and staff in a meditation for Genna. This effort, combined with the good thoughts of each of you seemed to tip the scale for Genna. I can tell, because now she is hungry!"

Thank you all for your prayers. We were also just informed that she is now out of the ICU and recovering well. Unfortunately, we have also suffered a tragic loss. Just two days ago while in Vietnam, a fellow student, Andre, died. This is the initial notification we received from the president of SAS later that night.

"It is with the deepest sadness and remorse that I inform you of the loss of one of our students today aboard the MV Explorer while docked in Vietnam. Andre Ramadan, 20, a sophomore at the University of California-Santa Barbara, died of unknown medical causes. The Institute for Shipboard Education and senior voyage administrators are in close contact with the U.S. State Department, Vietnamese officials, representatives from UC Santa Barbara, and Andre's family. We wish to convey our condolences to them and to his many friends. Please keep them in your thoughts."

I found out through a friend just after it happened. I did not know Andre too well, but I’d had lunch and dinner with him a few times and I am fairly close to his best friend on the ship. It’s been overwhelming to say the least and his death has affected everyone. I personally am physically exhausted from our adventures in Vietnam, but am also emotionally and mentally drained. Despite the tragedy, it’s been a blessing to see everyone come together and support each other. Today we had a memorial service that concluded with a tradition of throwing flowers off of the back of the ship in memory of Andre. I would greatly appreciate prayer for Andre’s family, friends, and everyone here.

As for an update on my travels, our three days of sailing from India to Singapore took us from one end to the other on the scale of cleanliness, order, and security. It was a welcome contrast and I loved it! I felt very safe the whole time. We were prepared for all of Singapore’s laws and thankfully everyone made it back on the ship safely (let’s just say that this was the first time in a couple years that SAS was allowed to port here). There are lots of rules: no spitting, no selling gum, no jaywalking. And basically anything having to do with drugs gets you the death penalty. Singapore is the 2nd most densely populated country in the world, with five million people inhabiting the 14 x 26 mile island. No one wanted to run a marathon with me across the island while there, so I guess I’ll have to do that next time! Our cruise center terminal where we docked was similar to an airport terminal in the way of customs/security. Connected to it was a huge shopping center and just beyond that was the cable car that took us to Sentosa Island, which is basically a giant resort with beaches, hotels, Universal Studios, and lots of nice shops and restaurants. I haven’t felt so comfortable and safe just walking around in quite a while. On the island we saw the Merlion statue (lion head and body of a mermaid, national symbol of Singapore), and went into a few shops. We returned by cable car, ate some great Asian food at the mall food court, and then hopped on the metro. Singapore is home to the biggest Ferris wheel in the world. It’s huge, but it moves so slowly and takes over 35 min to make one rotation. No thanks; I’ll pass. Instead, we decided to go to the Marina Bay Sands Hotel, where many of our friends had booked rooms. It was awesome to shoot up to the 57th floor and hang out in the infinity pool and look out over the views of the city. Later, I went on a night safari and because it was Halloween it was haunted, but really not that scary. We saw lions, elephants, tigers, deer, buffalo, hyenas, and flamingos. Pretty cool.

The next morning was a highlight for me. Ana, our friend Paul, and I took a cab to the Botanical gardens, a beautiful park outside the city full of gardens and flowers. I went for an hour long run and it was absolutely exhilarating. It was the first time in a while that I have been able to just take off on a run by myself and it felt great. I ran through the evolution garden, across the reflexology footpath, through the rainforest and ginger garden, under a waterfall, around swan lake, past the orchid garden and people doing tai chi, and ended with a bowl of fresh fruit, granola, and yogurt at a little cafe. Before on ship time, I got lost in the mall for a while and then skyped with my family at Starbucks! It was nice to just do my own thing. We only had one day between Singapore and Vietnam so it was a quick turnaround. Six day re-cap of Vietnam coming soon. Things are a little crazy right now with everything going on but schoolwork needs to get done before we get to China in two days. I’m missing everyone at home but I’m ready for our last three ports.

Taking things one day at a time,

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment