Friday, October 8, 2010

Aboard the MV Explorer!

I am writing this from Cabin 3095 aboard the rocking, literally, MV Explorer. This was day three on the ship, and day one of classes. Days of the week no longer exist—Today is day A1, tomorrow B1, the next A2 and so forth. My few days in Halifax were a little gloomy due to the clouds and the rain, but the sun came out on Friday for our departure! We lined up outside the ship around 10am with hundreds of other students to check in ourselves, our bags, and go through security, etc. Most parents, including my dad, stayed with their kids up to the security checkpoint before saying goodbye. Ana and I were on the ship and in our cabin by 11:30. We then had time to go back off and meet up with my dad across the street for a few hours. After saying goodbye for the second time (so glad my dad was able to see us off), we were back on the ship, unpacking, meeting other students, going through orientation, responding to an emergency boat drill (lifejackets and all!), and trying to convince ourselves that this wasn’t a dream.
When the ship’s horn began blowing at 5:00pm, everyone crowded onto the upper decks to wave goodbye to the parents whom were lined up along the shore. The ship started moving and that’s when it hit me—an overwhelming feeling that brought tears to my eyes. So many thoughts were running through my mind. I had been anticipating this for so long! And it was finally here. This is it! I’m sailing out into the middle of the ocean. Goodbye land, for now, and everything that’s familiar. Everyone was taking pictures. Ana and I walked to the bow and just stared. It’s like nothing I’d seen or felt before. The vast ocean in front of me, the wind blowing my hair, excited chatter all around. A whole semester of this. Absolutely unreal.

After dinner (food isn’t too bad…breakfast is probably the best, and there is always a salad bar at lunch and dinner so that’s been a staple), we enjoyed the sunset, more meetings, and faculty/staff introductions. Then seasickness started to affect people. The sickly ones are wearing patches, wristbands, and taking medicine. I am very thankful to not be seasick at all! The first couple hours I kept laughing because I would lose my balance. (Then a not so happy Ana would glare at me…she’s been a little seasick….). And the rocking has definitely been getting worse as I think we are making our way between two hurricanes that are in the Atlantic right now (kind of feels like a rollercoaster…) Walking proves to be challenging at times.

Yesterday was a very long day of orientation—basically just a bunch of rules and information about health and safety, traveling in port, and student conduct and expectations. Last night they introduced all the different clubs available to join. So far I signed up for an extended family (they place you with faculty members or lifelong learners and they become your “family” on the ship), Christian group/Bible study, rec classes, intramural sports, and a career development group. This morning began the first day of class! I had International Operations and Global Studies today, and tomorrow I have World Religions and Intro to Theatre. This afternoon I worked out for the second time. If walking is difficult, lifting weights proves even more challenging. We have a small, crowded cardio room where you have to sign up for machine time, and then there are free weights outside by the pool. It felt great to get a workout in but I definitely miss the gym at school.

Well, I didn’t intend to write this much, but there is just so much to talk about! Feel free to email me (hjhippensteel@semesteratsea.net) if you have any questions! Email is really our main form of communication. Phone and Internet are available but are pretty expensive. So I have all my emails forwarded to my SAS account that is free anytime.  Five more days until we arrive in Cadiz. So until then, I’ll continue to acquire my sea legs, get my brain in gear for classes, and get used to limited communication. Did I mention I really love getting emails?? It’s kind of my only connection to the outside world.

No comments:

Post a Comment