Friday, October 8, 2010

Ghana

Hello Everyone!

First things first, I am no longer a Pollywog. Question: What is a Pollywog? Answer: Someone who has not crossed the Equator. So, I am speaking to you now as an Emerald Shellback, someone who has crossed the Equator at the Prime Meridian! Yes, I know, be jealous. It was the precise intersection of 0 degrees North and 0 degrees West. This momentous occasion occurred on September 26—and no, there is no big red x in the middle of the ocean to mark it, in case anyone was wondering. This new Shellback status was celebrated two days later on our reading day (no classes), aka Neptune Day. Everyone was woken up by a bunch of our crew and faculty marching around in tribal wear with drums, cymbals, and whistles, telling us to go up to the pool. There, our initiation included the pouring of fish guts onto our heads. Almost everyone, including myself, solidified their status as a Shellback with this ritual (nothing a shower won’t fix). The even more daring tradition was to shave your head. Several guys and girls (at least 10 girls, and more guys) are now bald or sporting crazy mohawks. I personally have absolutely no desire to do anything of that sort, but hey, good for those girls.

Our four days in Ghana were not enough. Everyone loved it, and Ghanaians love Americans! I have never felt so welcomed in a foreign country or been around people that are so full of joy! The first day a group of ten of us got to tour and learn about the organization, Opportunity International, a micro-financing company that provides small loans to help people start up small businesses. We had lots of interaction with both the employees as well as their clients at their offices and other locations. One woman that I met in particular, whose name was Gifta, gave me her hand-made bracelet after I said that I liked it and asked her where I could get one for myself. She responded by giving it to me! I could really share story after story that reflects the kindness that the Ghanaians showed us, but just know that this country is predominantly Christian, and their faith is truly seen in their lifestyle. I saw much of landscape—clusters of small, run down houses that look more like huts with make-shift roofs, business after business with names like “God is Love Boutique,” “Jesus is the Way Electronics,” “In His Word Fashion.” The streets were filled with children, most of them with their mothers who were carrying everything from bananas to backpacks in giant bowls on their heads. That’s certainly a great way to free up your hands! We had lunch a beautiful hotel/resort and the meal I got was called Nananom (basically a big plate of rice, shredded chicken and beef, and vegetables). It was great and I really just liked saying the name.

The next day Ana and I participated in a Habitat for Humanity service trip with about 50 other SASers. It was a three hour bus ride from the ship to a village in the middle of the African bush. We made sure to smother ourselves with 100% deet bug spray (we are all on anti-malaria medication as well), and then hiked about twenty minutes to the work site, passing several waving villagers outside of their homes, some chickens, and lots of vegetation on our way. There were three home sites—one already had walls and a roof and the other two were just block foundations. We worked on the one with a roof, digging up the dirt floors to lower/level them. The other people were mixing mortar and building up the block walls. Unfortunately, Habitat thought that we were going to be bringing our own tools (but we weren’t) and so there were way more workers than tools. We could have accomplished so much more, but we worked in shifts, and if we weren’t working we got to spend time with the nearby villagers who came to say hi and hang out. We took pictures with them (all the kids absolutely love cameras and the fact that they can look at the photo after taking it), played duck duck goose, and gave them stickers and candy. The villagers provided a lunch of chicken, rice, and tomato sauce. Oh I forgot to mention the ‘bathroom,’ which was a little clearing in the woods, a hole in the ground, and two pieces of plywood on either side of the hole to put your feet on. Tired and sweaty, we made the trek back to the bus, and were glad to be back on the ship in time for dinner.

By the end of the following day, I had an African name, Ekua Baawa, given to me at a naming ceremony at another village we visited. It was a trip through SAS and there was lots of dancing and drumming to welcome us. We also met the chiefs, Queen mothers, and elders. Basically, your first name is determined by the day of the week on which you were born (Ekua - Wednesday). I’m not sure where the other half came from. It was a long ceremony (because there were about 90 of us) with chanting by the leaders while we drank first water and then sprite (the two distinct flavors represent truth, or something like that), while one of the elders held a leaf above us (which signifies nature). There was a lot of spirituality in the whole process and a lot of respect given to God first, and then to their ancestors. During and after the ceremony we were able to interact with the children (who once again, wanted to take tons of pictures), and speak with several villagers. I met one woman who was very excited because her name was also Ekua! We stopped at a hotel on the beach for lunch on the way home which satisfied our appetites— even better was the delicious flan and fresh pineapple for dessert! When we arrived back at the ship, we did some shopping at a little market right next to the ship. There were about 12 tents set up and some of the vendors had driven close to seven hours to be there for the four days that we were there. They definitely got a lot of business from us. I mean obviously we had to buy drums, masks, bowls, jewelry, and carved bookends. I actually didn’t buy a mask; they kind of creep me out but I think I will get one in South Africa.

So the last day was definitely a highlight. A pretty large group of us went and visited Egyam Orphanage Foundation - Children’s House of Hope. Bouncing down dirt roads in a little taxi (they would not be called roads in the States; we bottomed out nearly every 20 feet) really added to the experience. We arrived there and the 52 children started talking to us while we sat ourselves at several tables to talk, color, draw, and write with them. I spent a lot of time with a 10 year old girl, Rita, and she showed me their bedrooms, lined with bunk beds and mosquito nets. She was very quiet and would just smile and write me notes on a piece of paper. After a while, someone began playing the drums and before I knew it, we were dancing, singing, laughing, throwing balloons, and shaking tambourines. This went on for quite some time and to see these children, who have no families and hardly any material possessions, radiating such joy proved itself a fun and humbling experience. During our stay in Ghana, I really felt like I got a lot of interaction with the Ghanaians and through that, brief glimpses of what their lives are like. Ghana is on my list of places I’d like to return to, one where I’d really like to not just see the culture but really experience it, which is hard to do in just four days.

We will be in Cape Town, South Africa in just three days and I have many extreme and exciting activities planned which you will hear about in the near future. Sorry that I haven’t put any more pictures up—I didn’t make time to find wifi in Ghana but I hear it is readily available in Cape Town.

Hope you all are doing well.

Love from the newly dubbed Emerald Shellback,

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment