Friday, October 8, 2010

I'm on a boat

So the sea has definitely calmed down these past few days. The weather has been beautiful so Deck 7 by the pool is very popular—lawn chairs are crowded together, the snack bar is hopping, and endless games of ping pong get played. There are some that attempt to do homework while catching some rays….I’ve almost succeeded….

We have slowed down a little bit as we are no longer trying to outrun a hurricane and our arrival in Cadiz, Spain is Saturday at 8:00am! This morning we passed by the island Santa Maria. Yes, LAND! We woke up in time for breakfast and island spotting (took a few photos), and promptly went back to bed for 2.5 hours in our cave of a room. I can sleep at any time of day because the room is pitch black all the time. It sure makes waking up difficult. I don’t have class until 1:30 on B days so I am enjoying that, especially since tonight is our third consecutive night of moving the clocks ahead one hour. Before my class, I managed to workout and eat lunch after napping. I’d say that’s a pretty productive morning. I’m starting to get used to my schedule. Taking only four classes and not having my usual diving and work schedule really lightens the load. What to do with all my time! We’ve been doing a lot of planning and trip organizing for our upcoming ports (to be announced in a later email as plans get finalized). As for Spain, we are hoping to book last minute flights to Barcelona from Seville. So excited!

Yesterday’s highlight was seeing dolphins for the first time since being on the ship. I had just walked outside on Deck 7 and noticed everyone was looking and pointing over the railing. I ran over and immediately saw a whole pod of dolphins jumping, flipping, and twisting in the air! I didn’t have my camera but I took some great mental images. Another amazing sight was stargazing from the bow of the ship tonight. I have never seen so many stars. To top it off, there were a few shooting stars, one of which shot halfway across the sky. It was absolutely incredible.

There are also several families on this voyage. I don’t think I mentioned that earlier but several of the professors bring their families. So there are 28 kids under the age of 16 running around. The youngest is 6 months old! It’s just as exciting for them and I’m looking forward to getting to know them and hearing a child’s perspective on everything. That and our 66 lifelong learners (the oldest of which is almost 90), really add an exciting dynamic to our community. Lifelong learners are those who aren’t in school and want to take advantage of this unique experience. So for all you travelers, look into it! And we have the privilege of having Desmond Tutu sail with us for the entire voyage. He spoke to us the first day and really wants to get to know all the students!

That’s all for now. Many of you have replied and I really appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. It means a lot. I love hearing your updates so keep them coming! Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment